Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Just Jamie, TLC Channel

Generally speaking, I am a fan of Jamie Oliver and his cooking. That said, I cannot help but cringe when someone puts prawns with their legs, eyes, whiskers and what not intact in a pot to cook them. That's something which I hope I will never have to eat. I also failed to understand the dessert that he put together. First he cut each papaya into 2 parts, removed the seeds, added chunks of bananas in the space created and sprinkled lemon juice on it. Then he spooned a lot of thick yogurt in a bowl and placed it next to the fruits along with a few macaroons. I really wondered how this dessert was supposed to be eaten and would have preferred to eat just fruits instead.

The next half an hour episode was about an Indian feast. First of all, I was always under the impression that Rogan Josh is made with mutton. Jamie made it with squash, cauliflower and chhole. As if this wasn't enough he added baby spinach leaves and curd in the end. The resulting dish looked as if the vegetables were involved in some kind of violent fight and ended up mashing each other up. :-( But I almost fell off my chair when I saw what he did to the ready-made chapatis. He drizzled them liberally with olive oil and sprinkled an equally liberal amount of turmeric on top. Then he wet a paper napkin, wrapped the chapatis in it and put it in the over. He served them along with the rest of the meal. I have no idea what this was all about.

The lemon pickle was interesting though. He heated up olive oil, added mustard seeds and dry red chilli to it along with turmeric. He chopped lemons in tiny pieces and threw them in the pan. A dash of salt and tossing about for 10 seconds is all it took to finish this dish. I don't think any Indian worth his or her salt will call this a pickle but it was an interesting preparation nonetheless, I am going to give it a try :-)

No comments: