Saturday, January 30, 2016

Jamie Oliver has always been one of my favorite chefs. I was watching one of the episodes where he prepared a complete meal in 30 minutes. It was plain amazing! I mean, sure, most of the ingredients came from tins and the continental cuisine doesn't need as much slicing, dicing and grinding as Indian cuisine does. But that doesn't take away the fact that it needs skills to be able to work on multiple dishes at a time. I, for one, wouldn't have been able to let the rice simmer away on its own while I worked on the chicken. I would have been tempted to remove the lid and check on it from time to time. Wonder if the psychologists would be able to neatly put it under some form of OCD :-)

To be frank, I wasn't too impressed with the rice preparation, too bland for my taste, but then I am an Indian. :-) The curd dish sounded cool (no pun intended!) but the jerk sauce (what a name!) was most interesting. He just poured a little olive oil, salt and pepper on the chicken breasts before grilling them to a crisp top. The rest of the flavors came from the sauce as the chicken lay simmering in it in the oven. Brilliant!

I loved the way he ground a little onion and used its juice to season the salad along with lemon juice and salt. And yes, I was green (!) with envy when I saw him pick up the herbs from his own kitchen. :-)

No comments: