Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Gajalee, High Street Phoenix

Despite many visits to this shopping mall, I had never set foot into this seafood eatery. That’s because I don’t eat much of seafood except for pomfret. But lately I had heard rave reviews about their Bombil Fry and hence decided to check it out during my recent visit.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to try any mutton or chicken dishes because this is mainly a seafood joint. But there wasn’t much in the seafood section to my liking – except for Bangda Ambat Tikhat. So I ordered it along with Bombil Fry and Ghavane. Within minutes the server was at my table saying that Bangda Ambat Tikhat was not available. He said something about parcels going out but I failed to understand what that had to do with my order. Then he asked me if he should bring Bombil Fry and Ghavane. I have no idea what he expected me to eat the Ghavane with but I cancelled that order as well.

As I waited for the Bombil Fry to be served, I took a sip of water from the glass and immediately regretted doing so. The glass smelt very strongly of fish. :( Just then another server trouped to the nearby table with a dish containing huge raw crabs and pompfrets. I was bewildered for a moment wondering if this is any new form of Sushi. But then I realized that it was brought so that the people could choose which seafood they wanted to go for. I guess if the server had come to my table, I would have fainted at the sight of that huge crab. :)

The Bombil Fry (4 pieces per plate) was served with a chutney, onion and slivers of lemon. The fry was crisp and the chutney was yum. The server told us that it was made of onion, coconut, garlic and ginger. I think it also must have contained Kokams because there was a tangy aftertaste to it. What’s more, the Bombil Fry didn’t have the fish’s peculiar smell.

So even if you are not a seafood lover, do try Bombil Fry at least once.

No comments: