Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I checked the Times Of India site in the middle of the day for a routine ‘Breaking News’ check and did a double take. This can’t be right. AAP at 67/70 in Delhi? BJP 3? Congress 0? Nope, I won’t define it as an earth-shattering moment the way the newspapers and news channels have proceeded to do. But it is a surprise nevertheless.

There is no denying the fact that an absolute majority for BJP everywhere wasn’t a good news for the democracy. The fringe groups within the party have been making too much of a noise these days. The Sants, Mahants and Sadhwis that have been asking the Hindus to sire 4 or more children should be made to walk on the streets of the city during the morning and evening rush hour and dare to walk two steps without bumping into another human being. And I am not even talking about providing healthcare, education, accommodation and jobs to this population. These so-called saintly people might not need to worry about these things, thanks to their rich fan following, but us mere mortals do.

Coming back to the point, though on one hand I was glad that BJP got a much-needed setback to keep them from becoming over-confident or arrogant, I could not get over my unease about Kejariwal. I wouldn’t be able to put a finger to it if you ask me but I somehow cannot find it in me to trust the man. So I texted a dear friend saying I don’t know whether I should be happy or worried. His reply took me by surprise – it said something about victory of simplicity, honesty and good-intentions. Huh? Where did this come from? Simplicity? Can a person who was miffed because he wasn’t invited for the 26th January celebrations be called simple? When I said so, I was told that Modi has disappointed and that his feet are leaving the ground. The very fact that my friend is elated at Kejariwal’s victory indicates that he expects better from him and by that very act has set himself up for future disappointment.

I, however, didn’t have it in me to point this out to him. So I changed track and said that Modi or Kejariwal, it would be wrong to expect that they will change the country in a jiffy. Neither of them can change each and every person in this country. We have to change ourselves and that will only happen when each one of us realizes that we have to change – for the better.

While my friend agreed he stressed the need for ‘honest, simple, sincere and hardworking visionaries’ to lead important positions. I have my doubts about whether Kejariwal fits the bill. But then I could simply be cynical.

And that’s why I hope that Kejariwal succeeds – because if he doesn’t my friend, and scores like him, will be in for a Jurassic disappointment. :(

No comments: