Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sabarmati Ashram, Ahmedabad

If you ask me who is my favorite Indian leader from the pre-independence era, I would be hard pressed for an answer. I might perhaps say Sardar VallabhBhai Patel, for being instrumental in ruthlessly bringing together the various princely states to make way for India - though I must confess that there are moments when I wonder if it was wise to do so. I will neither name Jawaharlal Nehru (he trusted the Chinese for God's sake!) nor Mahatma Gandhi. I am not sure I will ever be able to figure out what made him give away a tidy sum of 55 Crores to Pakistan. We didn't owe them anything - after all it was their decision to separate. And it didn't help them in the long run anyways. Also I don't believe in the philosophy of offering another cheek when (and if!) someone should strike me on one (and you don't have to be a Muslim to say that, Mr. Parvez Musharraf)

But I put 'Sabarmati Ashram' in the list of places to be visited during our recent trip to Ahmedabad because I looked at it as a place of historical significance.

When we got down from the car, all I could see were a few scattered buildings - 'is that it?' was my first thought, till I was told that I will have to walk down a little to be able to reach the main complex. And when I did, I was charmed, despite myself. A vast expanse - impeccably clean - dotted with trees and simple cottages. And lots and lots of squirrels running about everywhere. It was evident that they had becomes used to the presence of humans as not a single one ran away even if you got close enough to take a snap. I especially loved the small one that reclined in the sand to munch on something.







The rooms are filled with photographs depicting Gandhiji's early life as well as major events in Indian history. I would have loved to read but being a tourist I had limited time at my disposal and so had to move on. But not before I took photographs of various envelopes that were used to post the letters addressed to Gandhiji. I remember reading about one in my school History textbook - 'To Gandhiji, wherever he is' it simply said. Needless to say, it was delivered to Gandhiji :-)







There is a section containing various letters written by Gandhiji, a library full of books and of course, a section selling Khadi artifacts.






I walked in wondering about what the place would be like and walked out with the satisfaction of visiting an important place in my country's history.

No comments: