Sunday, October 26, 2014

Goodbye Dr. Cristina Yang!

'Find out how Cristina's story ends' I groaned when I heard these words in one of the last episodes of Season 10 of Grey's Anatomy. To be frank, I cannot be counted amongst the fans of Cristina Yang. I find her confidence annoying. Of course, that could be because I am not a genius like her. 'It takes one to understand one' I guess. :-) And though I am not one of emotional type, I find her lack of emotions bewildering. But her characters, like all others in the show, had something that endeared her to you. For once, you knew how Cristina would behave in certain situation. No room for disappointment there. In a way, that is good.

Back to the Season Finale. I was mightily curious about the way her character would depart. And I was not disappointed even one bit. There is only one word to describe the manner in which they showed her not wanting to leave and becoming emotional in her own way - Fantastic! I envied Shane for being able to leave with his mentor. An opportunity of a lifetime and he grabs it with both hands. I thought I heard myself speak when Cristina says 'You are my person' to Meredith and tells that they will call each other twice a week. I remembered goodbyes with many friends which had ended in the same mutual promise. And yet we have lost track of what's happening with each other. Life is a funny business. It never lets you live completely the way you want to.

I also loved the way Cristina says goodbye to everyone. She hugs Derek, Bailey and Weber. She comes back to dance with her best friend Meredith. And there is only a moment when she catches Owen's attention as he is operating. One moment she is there, the next she is gone and he gets back to the operation. No emotional dialogues, no loud music, no multiple shots from different angles. How I wish our daily soaps would take a leaf or two out of these episodes.

Some of the other stories also were wound up pretty well. e.g. Murphy comes to help when she hears of the mall explosion, does her work quietly and when it is done, just calmly walks out the door. What a dignified way to go! I had never liked her character before but I loved her for this action. Another one to surprise me was Jackson's mother Catherine. I don't envy April for having such a mother-in-law. But after listening to her talk to April I felt that every woman should have such a mother-in-law. :-) Then there was the moment when Torres and Arizona realize, almost at the same time, that they can take the help of a surrogate mother to have a child. Again, no dialogues whatsoever in that moment - but the essence was conveyed beautifully.

Of course, I was happy that Cristina made Meredith realize that she doesn't have to sacrifice her career just because her husband is moving to D.C. Meredith has every right to work hard to choose her own path and she should take that chance. That's the only way to come out of the shadow of Dr. Derek Shepherd.

I am glad that Alex will not leave. His is one character that I have come to love. But I dread the moment when he and Bailey will realize that they are competing for the same board seat. The moment the new Head of Cardiothoracic said that Ellis Grey is her biological mother, I realized that Weber's relation with Meredith and Catherine will undergo a major change.

Can hardly wait for season 11 airing in India. 

No comments: