Tuesday, September 16, 2014

When I exited ITC Grand Central after attending a session arranged by my Business School, there was only one taxi on the road. When I approached it, for a moment I wondered if the old Sikh cabbie was waiting for someone. When I told him I have to go to the SiddhiVinayaka temple, he thought for a moment and then almost reluctantly asked me to get in. I almost asked him if he was sure, then thought better of it and got in. Then he told me that he wasn't sure about the route. 'It's better to tell up front. Otherwise the passengers think that the cabbie is taking them for a ride' - 'which in Mumbai he often is' I said to myself as I gave him the directions.

'Sorry Madam, I had to bother you about the route. But I don't drive taxi regularly. It's because of some personal problems that I have to do it' he said as he drove along. 'Okay' I wasn't sure how I was supposed to respond to this. Thinking back, I think I should have been worried about whether this guy even knew how to drive. But then I guess I have seen enough drivers who make you wonder if they are in the driver's seat for the first time in their lives. At least I would die knowing the truth :-)

Some moments passed in silence. 'I had to go in the opposite direction. But you are a lady so I couldn't refuse to drive you.'

'You should have told me. I did sense that you were a bit reluctant. I would have got another taxi' I said, a tad annoyed at what I took to be a patronizing attitude towards a female. It was not as if I was being abandoned in the middle of a forest.

'And you said you had to go to the SiddhiVinayaka temple. I could not say no. Going there has never incurred a loss for me. In fact, this is the third time today that I will go there'. he said beaming at me through the rear-view mirror. I still wonder what he meant by that. Did he mean that one is always able to secure a passenger from near the temple (a practical explanation) or did he imply that God made sure that he didn't incur a loss going all the there (a matter of faith)? I guess the answer to that question is known only to the cabbie - and to God.

But there was something in his smile that told me that it was all about faith and belief and a zillion other things that you just cannot put in words. Either you believe in them or you don't. As I got down and paid the fare I said softly 'God has made sure you landed up here thrice today. I hope and pray that whatever problems you are facing are soon taken care of'. The cabbie grinned ear-to-ear and said 'God Bless You'.

Could it be true what they say about faith being able to move the mountains?

No comments: