Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Spanish - Class VI

Whoa! The teacher taught so much in this class that I hope she conducts the surprise test on the coming Sunday. My tiny brain won't be able to cram in the material taught in yet another session for the exam :-)

When I was revising the material before the class I wondered if I had by mistake left off the 'c' in 'Adjetivos'. Nope, adjectives are indeed called 'Adjetivos' in Spanish, sorry, in Española. The first thing that we learnt in the 6th class was how the adjective changes as per the gender and plurality of the noun that it describes. So Masculino Singular 'Bueno' becomes 'Buena' for Femenino Singular, 'Buenos' for Masculino Plural and 'Buenas' for Femenino Plural. And that's just one of the rules - applicable to the adjectives that end in 'o'. There is one for the adjectives ending in rest of the vowels, another for ones ending in consonants and representing nationalities, one for adjectives ending in consonants (without having anything to do with the nationalities) and the last one for adjectives ending in 'or' or 'on'. I am sure I will forget what I had started to say by the time I am done mentally going through all the rules :-)

As if this wasn't material enough for one class, next was the very first verb - 'Ser' i.e. To Be (Thank God it wasn't Hamlet teaching us Spanish!). I was happy to learn that 'Yo' stands for 'I'. That's easy to remember! 'Yo Soy' means 'I am'. My joy was short-lived. There is 'Nosotros/as Somos' for 'We Are'. Then there are 2 forms for 'You' - 'Tu' (तुम) is used in Spain and Usted (आप) is used in the Latin America. I was so glad they haven't heard of the Bambaiyya तू :-) As we went about chanting 'Yo Soy' down to 'Ellos/Ellas Son' (They Are), I suddenly remembered my English school teacher asking us to repeat after her - I go, you go, it goes, he goes, she goes, they go. Life seems to have come full circle for me.

BTW, there is no 'it' in Spanish. Oh, and there are 6 cases where these forms of 'To Be' are used. I dare not think about the exceptions.

There was no home work this time. But the teacher has told us that we will have to introduce ourselves to the class. Here goes:

Yo Soy Swapna. (I am Swapna)
Soy Hindú (Hindú means 'Indian'. Wonder what the various jamats and jaishs will make of this!).
Soy Ingeniera De Ordenadores (Ordenador is Computer. I hope what I have written means "I am a Computer Engineer")

What worries me is the tildes and horizontal bars that seem to accompany some of the letters. How in God's name am I going to remember them? :-(

No comments: