Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Way To Go ISRO

I went to bed yesterday night wondering if the Mangalyaan (Mars Orbiter Mission) will make it to Mars orbit the following morning. But I woke up in the morning thinking of all the work that needed to be completed in office and on personal front. All thoughts of MOM had been wiped clean. But somewhere along my morning commute to office I remembered and wondered about the outcome. Now, I am perhaps one of the last remaining people who have stubbornly refused to have internet access on their phones. So there was no way to know before I got into the office.

I checked out the TOI site even before I opened the office mail today. To be frank, I was a little nervous because I didn't want to read that the mission had failed. Turns out I need not have worried. In bold letters the headlines proclaimed that India has become the first country in the world to make it to the red planet's orbit in its maiden attempt - and at much lesser cost compared to what Nasa has shelled out.

People passing by my cubicle must have wondered why I was grinning ear-to-ear like an idiot. That too in the morning in the middle of the week. Thank you ISRO for giving me the reason for the same!

I don't mind having an extra helping of sweet at dinner tonight. The occasion demands it. To hell with the calories. Or should I say 'To Mars'? ;-)

No comments: