Sunday, September 21, 2014

California Pizza Kitchen, High Street Phoenix

There was one thing that I didn't want to eat here - and that was pizza. Not because they don't make it well. They do. But I was kind of not in the mood. So I turned right to the "Salads" and "Pasta" sections of the menu. Just reading the descriptions of the dishes made me hungry enough to eat a dinosaur and a woolly mammoth in one sitting. We ended up ordering Thai Crunch Salad, BBQ Chicken Salad and Pesto Cream Penne.

When the server brought "BBQ Chicken Salad" I was taken aback by the huge quantity - despite being hungry. 'Who is going to finish all this' I wondered as I dipped the spoon in it. But as soon as I tasted it I knew I was going to finish it all by myself. There was lots of crisp lettuce, cherry tomatoes and sweet corn - making me feel I was eating healthy, for once. There was plenty of shredded chicken too - slathered in tasty tangy BBQ sauce that I just couldn't get enough of. Strips of tortilla chips added a bit of crunchiness. The menu had mentioned that the dish contains 'Fontina cheese, cilantro and green onions tossed with and house-made herb ranch dressing'. So these ingredients must be in there somewhere, adding to that heavenly taste that made me go 'wow' with every mouthful. But seriously, I am not a big fan of black beans and so think that the salad could have done without it. At Rs. 360, this dish is simply a steal.

BBQ Chicken Salad
Pesto Cream Penne (Rs. 395) was every bit what it should be. Perfectly cooked penne (not too raw, not too cooked) in a Basil Pesto sauce with bits of sun-dried tomatoes thrown in for that hint of sourness. That pasta is going to be my choice the next time we head there.

Thai Crunch Salad
The surprise of the day was, the Thai Crunch Salad (Rs. 365) - loads of vegetables, chunks of chicken, peanuts and rice sticks with Thai Peanut dressing. There was a sweet after-taste to it that left you asking for more. If anyone had asked me to choose my favorite dish amongst the 3, I would have been hard pressed for an answer.

The servers asked us twice if the food was good. They need not have bothered. 'Excellent' was the only word to describe it. :-)

No comments: