Monday, February 24, 2014

Fountain Sizzler, Flora Fountain

You just don't casually drop in to have a sizzler. It's a craving - for the steaming chunks of veggies, for the succulent French fries and for the tender pieces of chicken (or lamb, for those of us who are fond of red meat!) dripping with the sauce of your choice - that makes you decide to go for it as soon as you get up in the morning. I had such a craving over the weekend and so I headed to Fountain Sizzler, my most favorite place when it comes to having sizzlers.

Flora Fountain, Mumbai
I think they have changed their menu a bit because I don't remember seeing the 'Teppan Grill' section before but then it has been many months since I last went there. Frankly, I couldn't figure out how any choices under 'Teppan Grill' were any different than the ones under the 'Sizzler' section. So, we decided to order one from each - Sizzling Chicken With Cheesy Garlic Sauce and Teppan Grill - Chicken.

My first attempt to click photos were unsuccessful because both the dishes were emitting enough steam to put any steam engine to shame. You have to wait till things cool down a bit unless you are fond of getting your tongue and the rest of the inside of your mouth burnt. :-)

Sizzling Chicken With Cheesy Garlic Sauce
At first, I suspected that the chicken breast in the sizzler wasn't thoroughly cooked because it was taking quite an effort to cut it up into chunks. But when I popped it in mouth, it seemed tender as usual. I didn't want to waste time solving this mystery because the crispy veggies like carrots, beans and cauliflowers (yep, the same ones that I cannot stand in any of their normal avatars!) plus the golden bars of French fries looked absolutely tempting! Of course, I could have done with some more cheese and some more garlic in the sauce. But that didn't make the dish any less tasty.

Teppan Grill - Chicken
We had asked for the Teppan Grill to be served on the bed of fried rice.Though it had almost the same ingredients - meat and vegetables - the sauce had a distinct oriental flavor to it. Plus there were two large leaves of cabbage (another vegetable that I can normally go to any lengths to avoid eating!), loads of sprouts and fried bits of some green vegetable (spinach or green spring onion - I am not sure which). The miracle was that the chef had managed to take all these healthy-looking things and turn them into a delectable offering! I am sure this Teppan Grill thing is going to be my favorite :-)

Post lunch, a stroll along the road leading to Kala Ghoda is a must. It seemed like they were selling just about everything there - books, mobile covers, purses, wallets, sun glasses, fridge magnets, key chains, bracelets, CDs and toys. It was an effort to tear myself away from the stalls selling magnets and books.

A tall Caramel Frappuccino at Starbucks was a perfect way to end this outing!

No comments: