Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cable Trouble

I hope my last call to my cable service provider was 'recorded for quality assurance purposes' and that someone listens to it. When the customer service representative asked me my card number as soon as she came on line instead of wasting precious seconds saying 'Good morning, this is so and so. How may I help you?' I was pleasantly surprised. Then, of course, she had to verify my account information, address, contact number etc. I said 'That's right!' to all 3 questions patiently but was stumped when she asked me my email ID. I said I don't think I have provided them with one. She seemed surprised making me wonder why she couldn't see that the email ID was missing from the account information in front of her. I could have let it go but then she asked me if I wanted to give her the ID. I sensed my patience wearing thin and before it totally disappeared like a sheet of ice in blazing noon sun, I told her that I would appreciate it if she could solve my current issue which happened to be quite a pressing one. Email ID can wait.

She graciously agreed to hear me out. I told her that I wasn't getting any transmission and wanted to know if the locality was experiencing any cable issues or I was being punished for my sins. She said that the locality was fine and dandy. Guess all my neighbors are saints - though they don't look (or behave!) like one. Then she asked me to switch the TV and power off and give it a try once again. The cable equivalent of Reboot. That failed to work.

Just when I was about to ask her when they would be sending the friendly-neighborhood cable guy to get the thing working again, she told me that they are getting reports of a cable outage in my locality. The timing sounded so suspicious that I had to ask 'Are you sure?'. She said that she will check with her seniors and let me know if I would agree to be put on hold. As if I had any choice! A few seconds later she confirmed the outage and said that they are trying their best to sort it out as soon as possible. I pretended not to have heard the 'as soon as possible' part and asked her if she could tell me approximately how long will it take. Predictably, she said that she cannot or at least I think she said that she cannot. Her usage of tenses would have driven my English teacher to her early grave for sure.

And this is for whosoever has it in his/her destiny to listen to the recording - for God's sake, stop these people from saying 'I am very sorry for the inconvenience' after every 2nd sentence or so. It makes us callers sorry that we called at all.

No comments: