Monday, October 14, 2013

Indigo Delicatessen, High Street Phoenix, Lower Parel

I don't know why but I had always assumed Indigo to be a soup-salad-sandwich kind of a place. That was the reason I hadn't tried it yet. But as I have said it before on this blog, I am getting tired of eating at the same places in High Street Phoenix. The only other options were Veda - this being an Indian restaurant, I doubt if it will have anything different to offer other than the run-of-the-mill Dal Makhani, Butter Chicken, Chhole, Rajma, Mutter Paneer, Palak Paneer and Methi Mutter Malai - and Rajdhani - a strict no-no because it only serves Thalis. So Indigo it was.

Here's the menu http://www.zomato.com/mumbai/indigo-deli-lower-parel/menu#tabtop. We chose BBQ chicken wafer thin pizza and Fusilli with fried leek, almonds, roasted garlic and pesto cream.

While we waited we were served bread and butter - as is the norm in such eateries. The difference was that the bread was positively tasty. I would gladly have it for breakfast every day.

The Fusilli did full justice to the words 'pesto cream' in its description. I was expecting little pieces of roasted garlic adding crunch to the soft pasta shells but couldn't taste any. Probably the garlic was mixed in with the pesto cream. Instead, the crunch was provided by chunks of almonds - a little too many for my taste. Despite that, the overall flavors of the dish had come together beautifully. I simply couldn't get enough of it.


Fusilli
They weren't kidding when the menu mentioned that the pizza would be 'wafer thin'. It really was. So much so that the chunks of BBQ sauce flavored chicken made it break into a million pieces. And the sauce was a bit too tangy in my opinion. A little spicy note was sorely (!) needed.


BBQ sauce Chicken wafer-thin pizza
I am sure I will keep going back for the Fusilli. It's just that my choice of the 2nd dish would be different.

No comments: