Sunday, September 30, 2012

Komala's Thali

I am always game for Komala's Thali. Sambar, Avial, Rasam, 2 sabjis, chapatis, rice, raita, papad, pickle, buttermilk and a sweet dish - it's a veritable treat for anyone who is looking for a simple home-cooked meal. It's easy on the stomach, tasty and yet, very healthy (if you leave out the fried papad, mountain of rice and ghee-soaked chapatis!).

The last time I ate there, the thali came with a desert that I hadn't yet tasted - a kheer made of Chana Dal (Bengal Gram) and Sabudana (Sago), which, if the net is to be believed, is called SenegaPappu Saggubiyyam Payasam (I rather doubt it if I ever will be able to remember that!). I liked the dish so much that I Googled for it after coming home. I found a recipe at Sailu's Food.

I followed it faithfully except for the low fat milk. Since I don't believe in anything low fat, I substituted it with regular full fat milk. :-) The result was a tasty sweet concoction that's going to be my favorite for the lifetime!

No comments: