Sunday, September 30, 2012

I wasn't brought up in exactly Prince Sidhhartha style. But during my formative years my griefs and miseries were more or less similar to that of any upper middle class child of that time - pressure to perform well in academics, restrictions on what you can and cannot do, having to eat brinjals or cabbage for lunch/dinner etc. There was no concept of weekend trips to malls as there were no malls. A long trip was possible only during summer holidays and would be confined to maternal grandparents' place in Belgaum.All this meant that though I was aware of poverty I wasn't exposed to the stark realities of it.

Even when I started working, I don't remember paying much attention to the slums that occassionally came into view during daily travel. And you rarely think about something that you don't notice.

But these days, the story is different. During my daily travel by train or cab I seem to notice only the hardships and grind of human life. As the cab rattles along the many potholes that pass for city's roads, I cannot help but notice the shacks that are constructed haphazardly alongside, people lying on makeshift beds late in the morning, unattended children playing in dangerous proximity to a busy road and women taking care of daily chores in unimaginably tiny areas. Sometimes when I am coming home by train, I see some lady in her late 50s selling snacks in women's compartment. I wonder how she manages to get off one train and into another when all I can think of is going home as soon as possible and relaxing a bit. When I am done reading the newspaper I sit there watching my co-passengers and see women catching up on some missed sleep, some staring into space - their faces lined with tension and worry. Some are pouring their heart out to a friend - in person or on phone, usually it's about a husband or mother-in-law.

Is this all that is left in our lives, I wonder. And then I hear someone laugh. Maybe it's the same lady who was complaining about her in-laws a couple of minutes back. Now she is laughing as if there is no worry in the world.

As I look at her, I remember something and I fish out my cellphone. I once again read an SMS that a friend had sent a few days back:

If one day, we all are allowed to put our troubles on a table & exchange.....

For sure, after a few moments.....

Everyone would silently take his own & leave.......

No comments: