Tuesday, May 29, 2012

We Mumbaikars sure seem to have a love-hate relationship with monsoon. When the going gets tough because of intense heat we wait eagerly for the first raindrops. We celebrate the arrival of monsoon but as soon as the roads start flooding and traffic slows down, rain becomes public enemy No.1 :-)

I realized this once again when I left for office yesterday morning. There was a drizzle - too light to call it even that. Just before I stepped out of the apartment complex, I ran into a domestic help who seemed too cheerful for a Monday morning.  'Monsoon is here' she declared in Hindi as she smiled at me. I couldn't help but smile in return. After all, the overcast skies had melted my Monday morning blues.

Needless to say, I didn't open the Mint copy in my bag as I got into the bus. I fished out my Walkman and listened to the songs from the Golden Era as I looked out the wide windows of the AC bus and drank deeply from the blue skies full of pre-monsoon dark clouds.

No comments: