Monday, May 28, 2012

Khauk Swe or Khao Soi - what's in a name?


I had grieved a lot when Noodle Bar discontinued their sumptuous buffet. I had come to love the mousse and fried noodles with vanilla ice-cream, not to mention its various main courses. But faced with the choice of eating yet again at TGIF or Manchester United or Komala's or God forbid, at McDonald's, I had to step in there a few days back. Browsing the menu for something different to eat, I came across Khauk Swe – otherwise known as 'Khao Soi'. Should I or shouldn't I – a million dollar question that would decide whether I would savor whatever would be placed in front of me with delight or reluctance. Feeling adventurous, I did order it and was glad to have done so.

A delectable curry full of tiny pieces of tender chicken and a rich taste of coconut milk in every bite. Couple it with a bowlful of boiled noodles. Add chopped spring onion, coriander, fried crispy onions, fried crispy garlic cloves, a twist of lemon juice and a sprinkling of peanuts. And top it off with a fistful of fried noodles. Am I in heaven or what? You have to eat it to believe it.

I later tried the same dish at Asia7 as well but I would prefer the one served at Noodle Bar any day. And I hope there are many days like that :-)

No comments: