Monday, May 9, 2011

It was hard to get flowers for my daily puja last week as the lady who sells them in the market didn't turn up for most part of the week. Even when I ran out of flowers, I still waited for her to be there the next day - with the result that I had to leave for office without my customary offering of flowers at home. But she was nowhere to be seen. Frustrated, I bought flowers from other vendor during my lunch break.

Today, however, I saw her in her usual location at the market. As I approached her she smilingly welcomed me, as always. Funnily enough she calls me 'Didi' though anyone can see that she is way older than I am. Maybe that's why I don't mind. :-)

Anyways, I asked her why she didn't come last week. She started saying something about her husband. Here we go again - this wasn't the first time she had told me about her lazy good-for-nothing husband. But soon I sensed that she was telling me something else. Seems her husband has been very ill and has lost a lot of weight too. I asked her how he is doing now. She said that the doctors took his photograph - I think what she meant was the x-ray. But they don't have much hope. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to say to make her feel good so I told her not to worry and everything will be fine soon. God! How hollow my own words sounded to me! She raised her hands towards the sky to indicate that all was is in His hands now. :-(

I am not sure whether I should pray for her lazy husband's recovery or not. What do you think?

No comments: