Tuesday, May 4, 2010

If there is one thing common between all the "oh-God-it's-the-end-of-the-world" movies, it is that the protagonist is estranged from his family. So I was taken aback to find a wife and teenager son in tow with the protagonist in "Polar Storm". "At least this one has his home front in order" - I guess I said it a bit too soon because in a moment the wife complained to her husband that it is precisely his workaholic nature that makes their son think that he does not love him. A few scenes later the son refused to look at his dad as he sent them to safety while himself heading for work. And then a long-estranged granddad, nothing less than a General, crawled out of the woodwork to help his son save the world.

When I heard the US Prez declare that all their submarines have been rendered useless by the magnetic storms, a word popped into my mind "Russia". And sure enough, it was Russians to the rescue to join the Americans in saving the mankind from extinction. I cried tears of joy at this reel life unity.

Needless to say, I watched this movie till the end despite these cliches. I am still trying to figure out just why some of us love these Armageddon movies when the threat seems more real than imaginary these days? :-(

No comments: