Friday, January 15, 2010

I will sign off for this week with two things. One is a prayer that I found at the back of "Like The Flowing River". There were poems from Budhhism, Islam, Christianity and Judaism. I felt a bit sad that there were none from Hinduism. Ah, the limits of my secular soul :-(

Anyways, here goes....

Outside, beyond what is right and wrong, there exists a vast field.
We will find each other there.

-- Mevlana Jelaluddin Rumi (13th Century)

When I read these lines, I thought of Aman Ki Asha. Maybe India and Pakistan need to meet in this field now.

And the other is a poem at the beginning of this book.

Be like the flowing river,
Silent in the night.
Be not afraid of the dark.
If there are stars in the sky, reflect them back.
If there are clouds in the sky,
Remember, clouds, like the river, are water,
So, gladly reflect them too,
In your own tranquil depths.

-- Manuel Bandeira

No comments: