Monday, January 11, 2010

Aman ki Asha - will it work?

The words "Aman ki Asha" (Hope for peace) and "Times of India" were what attracted my attention to the hoardings that have sprung up all across the city.

Now at the end of the day, before switching off my laptop I decided to check it out. Here's the link.

I know the first thought that must have come to your mind. It won't work. I thought the same. Sixty two years' worth of pain and suffering! Will we be able to wash away the hatred on both sides?

Then came another thought. What must those who lost their loved ones during the partition, during the wars and on the borders be thinking? Just today there is news of a BSF trooper being killed in Pakistani firing. I won't blame them for opposing these efforts. :-(

And then I saw the video. I am not a sentimental type. But I found tears welling up in my eyes.

Is this possible? Will our generation live to see peace? Will common people like you and me be able to pull this off? Maybe we can. Let's give peace a chance, shall we?

No comments: