Thursday, July 16, 2009

Jack Welch said it right! There is no such thing as work-life balance. There are only work-life choices. You make them and they have consequences. The article said that many in the audience shook their heads when he said this. But I know that if I were part of that audience, mine wouldn't have been one of those.

I also agree with one of the other persons quoted in the article who said that work-life balance depends more on the employer than the employee. I still fondly remember one of my ex-bosses in the US (the only one who I have still remained in touch with!) who had told me point blank that he was least bothered about when I came to office and when I went home as long as I complete my work in the given timeframe and with the quality expected. I also remember that our entire team had once sat back in the office till the wee hours - so we could complete work even before the deadline given earlier because an important demo was scheduled at a short notice. And each member had done so of her/his own accord!

I also remember another of my ex-bosses who demanded that the employees come to office over the weekend - even if there was no work pending. I think he loved the office better than his home but somehow never wanted to be alone in the office! Needless to say, over the years I have never bothered to find out where he is :-)

No comments: