Friday, July 31, 2009

I was reading about the death of yesteryear's actress Leela Naidu. That's how I came across the mention of the court case of K. M. Nanavati vs. State of Maharashtra. I remember my mom telling me about this when the movie Yeh Raaste Hai Pyar Ke was once being shown on the TV. But I didn't know that India had jury system till then and it was abolished as a result of this case. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._M._Nanavati_vs._State_of_Maharashtra)

I used to think that the tendency to encash on someone else's tragedy is something that the 21st century brought with it. But I realized I was wrong when I read that at the time of this case the street vendors sold Ahuja towels and toy Nanavati revolvers - like hot cakes!

On a lighter note, I was floored when I read the star cast of the movie on the wiki page. Sunil Datt played Nanavati and Rehman was Prem. Now I wonder which woman in her sane mind would go for Rehman when she had a husband as handsome as Sunil Datt? :-)

No comments: