Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Zahir

This is the 3rd Paulo Coelho book I read. I have read “The Alchemist” and “Brida” before. It took me longer than usual to finish this one – because there were many pages where I lingered, trying to etch the words in my mind. As humans, we are cursed to forget and re-learn life’s lessons the hard way but that should never stop us from trying to learn and remember them, should it? And yet, if you ask me what the book is about, I wouldn’t be able to give a straightforward answer.

The book is about love but it’s not a conventional love story. It’s about losing something precious and finding it again after going through hell. It’s about relationships. It’s about letting go of your past and living in the present. It’s about listening to your heart. It’s about banal topics discussed by the rich and famous during gala suppers but it’s also about what the beggers say about life. It’s about a gift to the world from a dying soldier. It’s about an author who becomes so engrossed in his work that he forgets about his wife. It’s about a wife who wants to find herself before she loses herself. It’s about an epileptic called Mikhail who knows the energy of love. And it’s about a country most of us have only heard of - Kazaksthan and its Steppes.

I am not yet sure about how to forget one’s personal history and go on living as if each day were your last. I cannot go on a pilgrimage along the old silk route like that Dutch traveler. Maybe, it’s not time yet for that. But till then, I am going to try my best to learn from others.

And if you are like me, then “The Zahir” is definitely for you. Give it a chance!

No comments: