Thursday, March 12, 2009

When the Unwanted Guest arrives…

The books quotes some lines which the Author’s Note informs us are from a poem “Consoada” by Brazilian poet Manuel Bandeira। They are so haunting that I am sure that the words are going to come back to me in my quiet moments (which God knows, are so rare!)

When the Unwanted Guest arrives…
I might be afraid.
I might smile or say:
My day was good, let night fall.
You will find the fields ploughed, the house clean, the table set,
and everything in its place.


Much as I would like to believe that I would smile when the Unwanted Guest arrives, I know it in my heart that I would be afraid – because the fields haven’t been ploughed fully yet, the house isn’t totally clean and the table is in disarray. And in my life, I have known days so dark that they looked no different than the blackest of nights.

No, the things aren’t quite in their place, yet. I am not ready for the nightfall. I am not fully ready to look the Unwanted Guest in the eye and say “Let’s Go!” :-(

No comments: