Saturday, August 23, 2008

Madhur Jaffrey - Flavors of India

The next show on my list of favorites is Madhur Jaffrey’s Flavors of India. The first thing I really love about this show is that this lady will always tell you the exact measure of the ingredients she is adding to the dish. This is of immense value to someone like me for whom availability or lack of such measures means the thin line between a culinary triumph and a kitchen catastrophe! Eggs taste good but none of us wants it in our face, do we? :-)

And Madhur Jaffrey takes her own time cooking so you are not torn between wanting to watch how’s cooking going on the screen and writing down the recipe at the same time. :-)

She also tells you why she is using particular ingredients or what substitutes can be used. That goes a step further than cooking merely for gastronomic delight. It’s almost scientific if I can dare to use that word in the culinary world. Such knowledge is essential for healthy cooking.

Oh and BTW, I just love the elegant salwar kameezes and sarees that she wears. Wonder where she sources them from.

P.S. after I wrote the last line, I thought that if any male reads this post he will shake his head muttering “Women!” under his breath. :-)

No comments: