Friday, August 22, 2008

Kylie Kwong

My most favorite food show on this channel is the one hosted by Kylie Kwong. I loved her earlier show – Simply Magic and the current one – Cooking with heart and soul. Both these titles tell a lot about Kylie’s cooking style. For an Indian like me who is used to a variety of spices and pastes, Kylie’s dizzying array of dishes cooked only out of a few sauces - vinegar, light and dark soya sauce, fish sauce, Oyster sauce, Chinese cooking wine and chilli sauce – and spices – ginger, garlic, star anise and Schezwan pepper salt – is nothing short of magic! And when you watch her cook you can see that she is putting her very soul into it because cooking is her passion.

I must confess that at the beginning I used to get annoyed at her describing everything from Shallots to Fish as “beautiful”, “lovely” or “Gorgeous”. But lateron I either got used to it or simply assumed that it could be because she might be speaking impromptu. :-) Of course my meat eating is limited to chicken and seafood only so I have to look the other way when she cooks things like squid and octopus :-) Despite that, I am can happily watch this show any time and any number of times.

I have promised myself that whenever I go to Sydney I will be sure to drop in at her restaurant – even though doing so might drill a hole big enough for an entire herd of Kangaroos to walk through in my pocket :-)

No comments: