Thursday, August 17, 2017

Learning Sanskrit – Class 8

Now we are getting into serious grammar. There is a lot of learning by heart. It has been years since I had learnt it all in school but I am hoping that a couple of iterations will bring it all back. Let’s see.

I had missed class #7 when the teacher had covered परस्मैपदी verbs. I didn’t have any problem re-learning it. She covered the other group of verbs in this class - आत्मनेपदी verbs. Luckily for me, it all came back to me after a few recitals. The trickier thing would be to remember which of the 10 groups (or गण) the verb falls in. The regular set consists of 1,4,6 and 10 and the rest fall into the irregular set. Not a pleasing thought but hardly anything can be done about it.

So we spent the evening writing down all 9 forms for one verb each from 1,4,6 and 10th group. It is a bit of a hard work but everyone is happy because we are inching towards being able to form simple but whole sentences. :-)

No comments: