Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Rings

If you haven't had the misfortune of watching this one yet, my advise to you is - Don't. Seriously. Put your time to better use. Even if that means staring at a blank wall. If there is any movement going on about putting a limit to the number of times an old tale can be rehashed, it has my unconditional support.

When I had watched the first Ring movie, it had almost scared me to death. Actually I hadn't watched it of my own accord. A trusted friend had tricked me into watching it with her. And I had spent the whole night wide awake stealing occasional glances at the TV screen in the guest room of their family home and hating Samara for violently killing cute-as-a-button Martin Henderson. By the time Ring 2 got released I had wizened up but watched it because my fascination for the horror genre had grown by leaps and bounds in the interim period. Of course, I knew to shut my eyes whenever the TV screen showed the infamous well. Though the vague feeling of unrest persisted for a few minutes past watching the movie, the bedroom did not contain a TV this time and I was able to sleep like a baby. :-)

When I saw the ad for 'Rings' I inwardly groaned saying 'God! Not Again' because I wondered what's left of the tale to be told. But sometimes you got to tag along with the family. Plus I didn't want them to think that I was backing out because I was afraid. So I watched the movie. Not much in the plot to write home about. This time around it's some college kids who end up as Samara's victims. We discover a bit more about her childhood. More people die gruesome deaths.

And just when I wondered why people needed to make the DVD copies to get Samara off their backs in this age of Facebook and WhatsApp, she managed to find a way to travel through emails. I wonder if she will have a YouTube channel of her own in the next installment. Next installment? Sure. If the movie end is anything to go by, we haven't seen the last of the freaky gal with long hair. She will be back. Mark my words. But I sure as hell am not keen on meeting her the next time she comes crawling out of that well.

A blank wall would be much more interesting :-)

P.S. I wasn't amused when the professor said that some primitive cultures believe that cremating the mortal remains helps the soul to be reborn. Hinduism believes that, Professor, and ours in not a primitive culture, it's an ancient one.

No comments: