Monday, January 16, 2017

Patanjali Yoga Course - Day 7

Looks like my body clock reset itself on Sunday. Hercules would have been mighty proud of the effort I put into getting out of the bed and dragging myself to the class. I am pretty sure I sleep-walked during parts of the (what looked like never-ending!) walk. Even when I entered the classroom I was rubbing the last vestiges of sleep off my eyes. At this rate, I don't think I will be making much progress on spiritual or health fronts in this lifetime. :-)

The class appeared fuller today because there were 3-4 participants of this week's batch. As the instructor gathered all of us together and went over some of the material covered during last week - as a recap for us and new information for this week's batch - I, in my sleep-deprived state, wondered if it would have been wiser to stay in bed instead. As he went on, I was afraid that he would ask us to come again tomorrow because the time was up. But fortunately, nothing of that sort happened. He soon announced that we would be doing the 12 asanas that were demonstrated last week.

Well, what can I say? Some of the asanas were fun. Some were total body-twisters. And others were eye-openers as each one of us was able to gauge how fit we really were and how much effort lay ahead.

By the time the class ended I was, of course, glad that I had not skipped it. The instructor invited us to join either of the 2 practice sessions that go on downstairs every day - 5:30am-7am and 7:15am-9am - for a month. He said it would be best if we can attend the 5:30 session as the effect of the Pranayama starts decreasing after sunrise. The thought of reaching the class at 5:30am chilled me to the bone. :-) I do pride myself on my will power - if I decide not to reach out for another piece of sweet, I usually manage to steer clear of it - but it has its limits. And getting up at 5am is definitely outside its jurisdiction :-) Plus I see no point in going to these sessions and getting disheartened because others can do it faster and better.

So I am going to take it slow but steady. For starters, I am going to concentrate on Kapaalbhaati, Bhastrika and Anulom-Vilom. That's as much as I can bite off, chew, swallow and digest. And then I am going to add one Asana at a time to my daily exercise regime - starting with the one that will help tone the stomach muscles. I am going to follow it for a week and only when I am comfortable I am going to add one more Asana.

As I chalked out this plan, I suddenly realized that by going for this class I have already managed to fulfill one of my new year resolutions - Learn a New Skill :-) Way to go gal!

No comments: