Sunday, January 15, 2017

Patanjali Yoga Course - Day 6

Another busy day yesterday. The first hour was spent in learning about Acupressure from an expert. He showed various exercises for back problems, diabetes and assorted other ailments. I was floored when this expert, who was in his early 80s (but looked as if he was somewhere between 65 and 70), nimbly walked over the body of a class participant (a senior citizen!) to relieve him of his back pain. Boy! If I am destined to live long I want health like this or else I absolutely don't mind shuffling off my mortal coil early.

Then our regular Yoga instructor showed us the last 3 remaining exercises of the course (First 5 were Bhastrika, Kapaalbhaati, Bahya Pranayam, Utjayi and Anulom Vilom) - Bhramari, Udgith and Pranav. I have already written about Bhramari. Udgith is chanting of Om as explained earlier - this is supposed to cure insomnia. Pranav means Pran or breath and consists of concentrating on your breath with closed eyes while chanting Om in your mind.

What followed was a demonstration of series of asanas meant to exercise different limbs - Mandukasan, Shashakasan, Shalabhasan, Makarasan and Bhujangasan to name a few. I was feeling crestfallen that they were taught at such a breakneck speed without giving us a chance to practice them when the instructor told us that we need to come on Monday to practice these.

Must say that though this involves dragging myself outta bed in the wee hours of the morning once again, I am already looking forward to it. :-)

No comments: