Sunday, August 28, 2016

Murder On The Links - Agatha Christie

I know, I know. I have been devouring Christie books as if possessed. But honestly, can you blame me for not getting enough of her contribution to the genre? I had said that it was time for another Ms. Marple adventure. I, however, again ended up with the Belgium detective with an egg-shaped head and an exquisite mustache.

The story begins when Captain Hastings runs into a very beautiful, and modern by his standards, girl in a train. Cinderella - that's what he calls her because she goes away without giving him her real name. Poirot has a mystery on his hands when Hastings joins him. Someone called Mr. Renauld has written to him from France saying that his life is in danger and he needs Poirot's help in solving the matter at hand. Poirot and Hastings start at once for Merlinville, France. But it seems that they are too late because on reaching their destination they are informed that Mr. Renauld has been murdered during the night. The examining magistrate and the Commissary of Police extend all the help to Poirot but Mr. Giraud from the Sureté isn't too keen to have Poirot on the case. Things seem simple on the face of it but Poirot figures it out that there are several perplexing issues which are vital to the solving of the case. Who left the front door ajar? Why has Mrs. Renauld's watch gained 2 hours? Why was the body left at a place where it would be soon discovered? What was the significance of the piece of lead pipe found next to it? And finally who is the perpetrator?

The best part about the book is that you can piece together several facets of the case from the crumbs that Christie leaves for the reader. You even feel confident at times that you will be able to solve it on your own. Of course, I couldn't. But when all was revealed at the end, I realized that it was entirely within my ability to reach the conclusion. Guess I have a long way to go when it comes to employing my little grey cells :-)

No comments: