Wednesday, May 11, 2016

"Babylon" - E05, X-Files, Event Series

Contemporary? Definitely. But X-Files? Probably not. That was how I read this episode of the Event Series. Sure, nothing will showcase that the X-Files are truly part of the 21st century like a group of terrorists blowing up themselves and others in a big bang. But Mulder getting the required information from a comatose terrorist while being under the 'supposed' influence of some hallucinogenic mushrooms is way 'out-there' for me. And I am not even talking about the whole thing being nothing short of the Placebo effect. I really struggled to make sense of the scene in which Mulder sees the dying terrorist in the arms of his mother in a ship piloted by the Cigarette Smoking Man (I have always hated him!). When I couldn't, I told myself that it probably means nothing more than an image conjured up by Mulder's "drug-addled" mind. When I later searched on the net, I found that that scene has some biblical reference. I really wonder how non-Christian folks are supposed to understand all this?

Just when I thought that the episode has ended, Scully and Mulder were shown walking along holding hands. It has been quite a few years since the original series was re-telecast in India. But I doubt if I remember the agents doing something like this back then. A sign of changing times, perhaps? Another such sign was the presence of more of Asian faces in the cast of the mini-series. I am sure I saw one even in the Homeland Security team that troups in to confront Scully and Miller. I have forgotten the name of the Indian nurse working in Scully's hospital but I remember thinking at that time that it was definitely a masculine Indian name, unless the nurse in question happened to be a Punjabi (which she didn't seem to be!) - they have a 'Kaur' after the masculine name to signify that the person in question is a woman. I sincerely hope that Mr. Trump didn't watch this episode - he would have wondered if these 'aliens' were legally in the country or not.

And as if all this wasn't enough, Mulder appeared to hear a sound of trumpets by the end of the episode. I guess Lucifer and Amara should leave the humans and angels in peace and start looking for God in the X-Files. The truth definitely seems to be out here as far as the divine presence goes!

P.S. This episode had a scene in which Einstein (wow!), Miller, Scully and Mulder get introduced to each other as 'Special Agent'. I might have asked this before but why does the FBI have only 'Special Agents'? Are there any agents who are just 'Agents'? :-)

No comments: