Thursday, April 28, 2016

X-Files - Event Series

I have been a die-hard fan of the X-Files though I must confess that I liked the case episodes better than agent Mulder's relentless search for the extra-terrestrials. In fact, when a couple of years back they aired all the seasons back-to-back I almost skipped watching the last season because it almost exclusively dealt with aliens. So when I read that a six episode show was being made I was curious and skeptical. Since the show ended there have been so many Hollywood movies about extra-terrestrials that we have probably seen all that is to be seen in this genre - so much so that the only thing that can cause any excitement in this area is the landing of an actual UFO in a public place somewhere in the world. So I wasn't too enthusiastic about the rehashing of the old tale. What more have they got to show now? But the curious side of me was yearning for more unusal cases that have absolutely nothing to do with aliens. A 6-episode series won't be enough to cover that.

Alas! The first episode was a major disappointment. They are starting where they left off all those years ago as far as the plot goes. Sure, Scully and Mulder have moved on with their lives. But now they are being dragged back into this whole alien abduction and creation of hybrid lifeforms drama. A few references to the recent events like 9/11 and Snowden episode have been added to try to make it relevant. But in my humble opinion, there isn't much left here to show and tell. Even the 180 degree twist in the plot - that it's not the aliens but the government that is doing all these experiments - sounds rather stale.

I have been through 2 episodes and ended up feeling sorry for Agent Mulder. I guess they should have left him alone.

P.S. BTW, there are other last names besides Gupta as far as the Indians go, you know. And someone please tell Agent Dana Scully that the word Gupta isn't Marathi but Sanskrit in its origin. Wonder how Donald Trump will pronounce it :-)

No comments: