Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Story Of God With Morgan Freeman (National Geographic, Fridays 10-11pm)

Watching any program being aired by this channel is a good investment of time. And if it is about God, there was no way on God's earth that I wasn't going to watch it :-)

The first episode was about the afterlife. They covered a lot of facets - the resurrection of Christ, the Day of the Dead in the Mexico City, the words carved on the walls of an old Egyptian temple, the Hindu belief that if you are cremated in Varanasi you get liberated from the cycle of life and death, the Buddhist angle on life and death. Just watching some of these places on TV gave me goosebumps. I wonder what it will be to actually visit them. My 'places to go before I die' list is growing by the day :-)

The second episode on Apocalypse was equally fascinating. They explained the origin of the Beast's number 666 and also why it is sometimes 616. I didn't know that both these things refer to the Roman emperor Nero. The Hindu concept of the circular nature of time and the cycle of births was covered. I wonder, though, why they missed out on the concept of Kali who is supposed to bring about the end of the world this time. The concept of Apocalypse was also covered from the angle of the terrorists organizations like ISIS who believe that they are waging a holy war. And lastly the idea from Buddhism that the end of the world is actually nothing different than your own enlightenment.

I am already looking forward to the next installment of the series - it's on Creation. :-)

P. S. I laughed out aloud when the monk asked Freeman to meditate by just concentrating on his breath and he said 'yeah, I can do that'. I am just taking my first baby steps into meditation (and hoping that I will stay on the path!) and find that it is one of the hardest things to do. If Mr. Freeman is able to do it effortlessly, hats off to him!

No comments: