Wednesday, January 13, 2016

There is no telling what might pop out of an old attic. When we cleaned up an old storage space at my mom's place recently, three items - which I had not seen for years - popped out.

One, a puppet of a man - even as children we had not been able to describe it more than this. It is a dusky (read black!) man, wearing a headgear, a short green pant and a pair of over-sized shoes - way too oversize for his thin reedy legs. Dad had brought him back from his office trip to Germany - why I have no idea. Back then, I used to find the puppet exceedingly creepy and still do. But surprisingly, when he was recently unearthed from the dusty, cobwebby confines of the storage and mom declared her intention of throwing him out along with other junk items, my brother (to whom I had sent his photo on whats-app with caption 'Guess what we found') and I put up a stiff resistance. It is one of those items from a shared childhood that we can collectively laugh over as we pick it up and look at it. The puppet stays.


The second item shares this trait with the puppet. It is a pressure cooker from the toy cooking set I used to play with as a child. There used to be a stovetop along with it - which was way too over-sized for the cooker to fit onto it. But that must have been thrown out. When I sent this photo to my brother on whatsapp, I got a big smiley along with the message 'you used to cook imaginary food in this and ask me to eat it'. That part is true. Him and the younger brother of my friend next door were made to eat imaginary food from little plates as we both girls did our make-believe cooking. :-) Needless to say, the pressure cooker is staying as well.


The last item is of a more recent vintage than the two items mentioned earlier. It is from the days when the SSC exam was given a lot of importance. They used to have special magazines dedicated to the exam study like e.g. दहावी दिवाळी. The said item is an issue of the said magazine - it contains a history paper solved by me, in my handwriting. It shocked me a little, to see that I could write so much in one sitting once upon a time, and that too in such legible nice way. Now, my handwriting starts turning illegible halfway through taking down a recipe while watching a show. I neglected to maintain it - it is that plain and simple. Sad, but true.


Maybe I should start writing one paragraph in Devnagari every Saturday morning, the way they used to make us do in the school :-)

No comments: