Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Mainland China, High Street Phoenix

Most of the times when I go to Phoenix I haven't decided in advance where I am going to have lunch. But last weekend I knew that I was in mood for some Asian food. There is only one place that serves it there - Mainland China.

I was sorely tempted to order Nasi Goreng once again - it was unbelievably delicious last time I ordered it. But I had made up my mind to try something new this time around. So my choice was Burmese Pan-fried Noodles with chicken and Stir-fried chicken with Chilies, Garlic and Hot Basil. The server informed me that the noodles will be cooked in coconut milk (I wonder if it was because people are allergic to or don't like coconut milk!) and that along with chicken it will contain some vegetables (I have no idea why he had to put in that disclaimer!). We said that we are fine with both these things.


Now, I don't know if we are lucky every time we order from their menu or their chefs, by some culinary magic, manage to turn every dish into a delicious riot of texture and flavors. I suspect that it is the latter. The Pan-fried Noodles were cooked in rich coconut milk and the perfectly cooked generous chunks of tender chicken just melted in one's mouth. The Stir-fried chicken had all the flavors of Chilies, Garlic and Hot Basil blend into a thick out-of-this-world sauce coating the chicken pieces. Each morsel was an absolute delight.

Now if only they would serve some Khimchi instead of the pickled peanuts as soon as you are seated and some fortune cookies along with your bill, my world would be just perfect!

No comments: