Saturday, September 19, 2015

Grey's Anatomy, Season Finale (Season 11)

A confession is in order here - after a first few episodes, I had stopped watching this season because I simply couldn't take any more of their conflicts - Meredith and Derek, Owen and Amelia, Callie and Arizona. It seemed like discord was in the air - literally and figuratively both. On top of it, while looking for some other information connected to this season, I stumbled upon the revelation that Derek dies in one of the episodes towards the end. That did it! I stopped watching altogether.

But Grey's has been one of my favorite shows (despite the fact that I don't like Meredith Grey's character much!) since I started watching it a couple of years ago. So I couldn't resist myself from watching the Season Finale.

As always, it was good. The efforts these people put in to save the family of 3 was amazing. I couldn't stop myself from comparing it to the state of affairs in India (forget about the hospitals! If people come across accident victims, they are more interested in taking photos than transporting the injured to the hospital). It was sad to watch the end of many relationships - Meredith and Derek, Owen and Amelia, Callie and Arizona, Jackson and April. I guess the only couples left holding hands are Bailey and her husband and Alex and Jo. Hope we don't have to see them calling it a day by end of next season.

I was surprised that Meredith asked Alex if she and kids could move in with them. I was always under the impression that people there value their independence and freedom more than anything else. Sorry to see her sell off her beautiful hilltop home.

It was also heartening to see Jackson accept his mom's second marriage so easily. In India, we believe that marriage is something to get into when you are young. Old age marriages are frowned upon. Wonder if Weber has told Catherine that Mary is his and Ellis Grey's daughter. Can't really see Catherine accepting it wholeheartedly. Now that they have tied the knot, let's see how far they walk together.

What I liked most of all is the grand party that will be Meredith's last memory of the house that once belonged to her and Derek. Seemed straight out of a Sooraj Barjatya movie - all members of a big happy family dancing and singing together. :-) I also loved Meredith's reaching out to her stepsister and sister-in-law in one of the last scenes - so the three of them could dance together. Looks like her character is going to see a big change in coming seasons.

Here's looking forward to Season 12 :-)

No comments: