Saturday, September 19, 2015

Asia Kitchen by Mainland China, High Street Phoenix

We have visited this place before - once. The Phad Thai was good (even a shade better than that dished out by my favorite Tamnak Thai!) but Khao Soi, with its overuse of coconut milk, was a total disappointment. I was so turned off by the whole experience that I haven't cooked Khao Soi at home since then. :-(

But we wanted to go for Chinese food and I have vowed never to set foot in Noodle Bar again (quantity and price are in inverse proportion to each other!). So Asia Kitchen it was. This time I didn't have much to lose as I knew they had already messed up one well-known dish. Might as well go for something new.

So we ordered Teriyaki Chicken - I have seen it featured on the menus of too few restaurants (and hence refrained from ordering it thinking they won't be able to do justice to it) - and Nasi Goreng. Okay, go ahead and say it - neither dish is Chinese. I agree but I had made my choices.

Teriyaki was good but didn't quite match with the taste that I remember from my US days. The server had asked us if we wanted it mild or spicy. When I had asked for mild, I didn't quite think that it would be nearly sweet. At least it wasn't a total disappointment. Nasi Goreng was good too but I would have loved a little more flavor.

To summarize, this recent visit did change my initial perception about Asia Kitchen. I would definitely visit them in future to sample some more of their offerings. :-)

No comments: