Saturday, July 18, 2015

SAVE AAREY

I wouldn't have the small booth and the girl standing in it. It was past 8pm and I was in a tearing hurry to reach home. I passed it without really noticing it and waited for the pedestrian light to turn green. Just then I overheard two boys talking to a girl. I turned back and saw that she was giving them some pamphlets and explaining something. That was when I really looked at the booth - "saveaarey.org" it read. Aarey? The milk colony? Why does it need saving? The light was yet to turn green so I decided to check it out. Truth be told, I couldn't have left without checking it out.

As I reached the booth the two boys thanked the girl and told her she was working for a good cause. She turned to me and I asked her what this was all about. She said that the government is hell-bent on cutting down lot of trees in the Aarey area for a proposed metro project. And this despite the fact that as many as 7 alternate sites have been suggested to them. This is an agitation to try and stop the government from executing this foolhardy decision.

The Saveaarey movement has organized an event on 19th July at the New Zealand Hostel, Indoor Hall, Aarey Milk Colony, from 11am-6pm. They will be showing films on leopards, trees and flamingos. Renowned naturalists will have discussions and answer questions.

Check out their website at saveaarey.org and find out what more you can do to chip in - For Mumbai's Sake!

No comments: