Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Janson Option - Paul Garrison

I was in a hurry so I only saw 'Robert Ludlum's The Janson Option' but failed to see the bottom line - 'A new novel by Paul Garrison'. And then wondered why the author's style seemed so different than what I knew from reading Ludlum's other novels. This time the story revolves around Somalia - the unlikeliest of countries. Frankly, and with due apology to people of Somalia, my knowledge of Somalia is limited to famines and pirates. Of these two, pirates occupy center-stage as far as the plot goes.

So we have a luxury yacht with distinguished people on board. The yacht is hijacked by pirates and the owner gets killed in an attempt to escape. The guests, most notably a countess whose husband also happens to be an influential employee of an oil company, are held for ransom. The oil company in question is pursuing a lucrative deal for oil in Somalia. For good measure, the author also throws in a group of terrorists - hell-bent on blowing themselves (and others around them!) to smithereens - and couple of sleek politicians, just to thicken the plot. The question is - are the guests rescued? And how many?

Maybe because I read the novel over a couple of weeks - but I found the plot to be complicated. And too crowded with characters for a crime fiction.I was relieved when I turned the last page. :-(

No comments: