Monday, February 16, 2015

And now about the annoying, maddening ads of Pepperfry.com. I am not sure which of the two ads drives my blood pressure higher. I think it’s a tie. One ad features a couple where the moment the husband starts talking the wife informs us that he wants to choose the furniture for their home. Then she proceeds to correct his every suggestion until the final item which she okays without any comments, thus surprising him. It seems to perpetuate the idea of a wife who finds fault with everything that her husband does or says. And then there is the other ad where the wife nudges her husband to tip the person who is putting their furniture together. Every time she does that I feel like asking – Lady, why don’t you dip into your own pocket to tip the guy? I am riled at the suggested cliche that it is the man’s duty to pay.

On the other end of the spectrum are the ads themed around a kid and a dad. I watch all the ads every time they are aired. They are totally cute, even when there are no dialogues. But the problem is that I am having trouble remembering what the ads are about. So there is a definite disconnect here between the product being marketed and the ad that is supposed to market it.

Then there is an ad, I believe of some health insurance company that tells the viewer that they should go for the said insurance because their ill-health should not make their family sacrifice anything (son’s bike or wife’s jewellery). I feel that while the message is right the tone is not only wrong but probably jarring for the Indian populace where parents consider it their duty to provide for not only their children’s education but also their marriage.

No comments: