Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Hokey-Pokey

I don't know about dictionaries but if you look up the meaning of the word 'Hokey-Pokey' on the internet, you will get the following:

1. ice cream of a kind formerly sold on the street, especially by Italian street vendors.

2. deception; trickery.

I wasn't aware of the former and so had been apprehensive about trying it. But on a recent visit to the mall, I found myself looking for something other than Gelato, Naturals, Baskin Robbins & Mad Over Donuts to satisfy my aching sweet tooth. An outlet of Hokey-Pokey was nearby so I walked over. A father-son duo was watching as the lady manning the counter was preparing their order. I am not sure what they had ordered but I liked the way she used the stone grill (at least I thought that's what it was!) to heat and mash up the ice-creams scoops and mixed them with different fillings. Why not try it? Afterall, it was the first day of the new year.

So we ordered two - Manic Monkey and Angel Apple Pie. And I liked both. Okay, to be very frank, I liked 'Angel Apple Pie' more - and not (just!) because it gave me a false satisfaction of having a teeny weeny serving of fruit with a big dollop of an ice-cream.

One of these days I am going to muster enough courage to be able to order "Double Chocolate Therapy". :-)

No comments: