Friday, September 12, 2014

The Great Indian Rasoi (Khana Khazana Channel)

I have come to love this program - that's saying a lot considering the fact that I generally don't have the patience to sit through an hour-long program. Over the weekend I got to watch the Ahmedabad episode. Gujarati is one of my favorite cuisines and I hope I will be able to make it to Gujarat one day so naturally I was glued to the screen.

The chef had visited a place called Vishalla. While he was having a dinner there the person sitting next to him - who I believe was the owner of the place - told an interesting saying that is prevalent in their culture about water. It goes something like this - it is good to drink water before eating because it makes you hungry. If you drink water while eating it helps cleanse your palette so that you can taste various dishes fully. But you should never drink water immediately after eating because it prevents food from getting digested properly. However, water drunk half an hour after eating is beneficial for health. He also mentioned that one should walk for 100 yards after eating. What I found interesting was the dumb-bell shaped object that he asked the chef to put under his right thigh. It presses the stomach a bit so that there is pressure on it making one feel full even when one is not and preventing over-eating.

Another important piece of information for the prospective tourist is that Bhatiyar Galli is the place to go to if one wants to eat non-veg food. For indulging sweet tooth, a trip to Manik Chauk is a must.

The program featured a famous sweetmeat shop called Kandoi Sweets. One of the famous items here is Mohan Thaal - which, apparently, was Shri Krishna's favorite sweet and hence gets its name from Him. I wonder if they used so much ghee during His times. :-)

Later in the week I caught the tail end of this program's Lucknow episode. They showed a technique called Sugar Pulling - which needs a lot of strength and stamina - that is an essential step in making a sweet called Revadi. I had no idea so much of effort goes into making this humble-looking sweet.

If you are curious about the food served in different parts of the country, this is the program for you. :-)

No comments: