Saturday, September 13, 2014

Spanish - Class V

A familiar feeling assailed me as I opened my eyes on Sunday morning - a total reluctance to leave the comfort of my bed, get ready and head for the class. Hercules might well have cleaned the Augean stables but I bet you anything under the sun that he would have found getting up on a Sunday morning much much more daunting. I let out a sigh and was done wallowing in self-pity. Then pictured myself conversing in fluent Spanish. That did it. Within a span of minutes I was up and ready and on my way.

There were only a few students when I got into the class - one was reading a book, another was listening to music and the rest were busy talking. But slowly more started trickling in and the class was full by the time the teacher walked in. The first item on the agenda was learning the rules for changing the plurality of the nouns - 6 rules in all. The teacher explained each and we dutifully wrote it down. Then did the exercises. Somewhere along the line the teacher discovered that we haven't been revising enough. So she declared that there will be a surprise test this week. Oh Boy!

Next we learnt about the adjectives - only 2 rules. One, the adjective follows the noun instead of preceding it. And two, the adjective changes as per the gender and plurality of the noun. Thank God for small mercies!

We finished the class with a list of words used for asking questions - when, where, why, what, which, who and how. Here's a list of questions I would like to frame in Spanish:

When is the teacher going to conduct the test?
What sort of questions are going to be asked?
Who is going to score the highest?
And the billion dollar questions - how am I going to fare?

No comments: