Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Byculla To Bangkok - S. Hussain Zaidi

About a fortnight ago, when I went to the library to return 'Dongri To Dubai' by S. Hussain Zaidi, an attendant there asked me if I had read 'Byculla To Bangkok' by the same author. I hadn't but I wasn't keen on another dose of Mumbai dons and their shenanigans - at least not so soon after my head was reeling from reading about the likes of Dawood, Chhota Rajan, Chhota Shakeel, Manya Surve, Amar Naik and Arun Gawli. So I checked out 'The Winds Of Hastinapur' instead. But I remained curious about why the author felt the need to write a second book on the Mumbai underworld.

As I returned 'The Winds Of Hastinapur' my eyes fell on 'Byculla To Bangkok' and I decided to read it this time. Turns out this one is exclusively about "Mumbai's Maharashtrian Mobsters". I am not sure if, as a Maharashtrian, I am supposed to be proud about it :-( The book is written in the same racy style as 'Dongri To Dubai' and gives detailed account of the lifes of Amar Naik, Ashwin Naik, Arun Gawli, Sunil Sawant alias Sautya and Suresh Manchekar. The only mafia man conspicuous by his absence is Manya Surve.

Of the two books, I like "Byculla To Bangkok" better. And for the record, that has got absolutely nothing to do that I am a Maharashtrian! :-)

P.S. It was interesting to read the list of mills that once stood where the skyscrapers of today tower over the surrounding area. I am reproducing the list here:

Jupiter Mills -> India Bulls Sky
Elphinstone Mills ->One India Bulls Centre
Phoenix Mills -> High Street Phoenix
Kamala Mills -> Kamala City
Raghuvanshi Mills -> K-Lifestyle
Matulya Mills ->Sun Palazzo
New Island Mills -> One Avighna Park
Piramal Spinning And Weaving Mills -> Marathon Nextgen
Modern Mills -> Mahindra Belvedere Court
Dawn Mills -> Peninsula Towers

No comments: