Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A couple of days back I came across an article in a Marathi newspaper that cautioned people, especially ladies, against getting into shared vehicles that pick up random passengers at the bus stops. While some of the vehicles are cars that are being driven by the chauffeurs who are returning after dropping off their owners at the airport, others are buses operated by companies that are running empty after dropping off their employees. You would think women would think twice before getting into such a vehicle after the Delhi incident. But sadly it is true what they say about the public memory being short.

I realized this today as I waited at the bus stop. A lady, who must have been waiting for a very long time, was getting restless by the minute as there was no sign of any bus. Just then a private car stopped by, the driver looking expectantly at the people waiting. I was taken aback when this lady approached the driver, discussed something and then got in. What's worse, she got into the front right next to the driver. I remember an article that I had read years ago - probably when I was in college - that advised ladies to sit diagonally opposite i.e. in the left rear seat when using cab or rickshaws. The logic was that the driver will have to stretch himself to reach you.

Anyways, coming back to this vehicle in question, an old guy got in and occupied the left rear seat before the car zoomed away. And I wondered why we never seem to remember the old adage - better safe than sorry.

No comments: