Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Disaster Called Chinese Tomato Egg Drop Rice

This recipe was demonstrated on a cookery show on Zee Marathi channel (Amhi Saare Khawayye). It looked yummy on screen. In fact, too yummy to make me forget the cardinal rule that I don't usually like any dish that has a lot of tomatoes - the only exception to the rule being, of course, the Tomato Soup. So I decided to try my hand at it today. Here goes the recipe:

Heat oil. Add finely chopped garlic. Saute till it turns brown. Add the onion part of spring onions. Saute and add already prepared white rice. Boil 2 eggs, leave aside the yolk, finely chop the white part and add it to the rice. Add green part of spring onions, salt, pepper and a dash of vinegar. Mix.

Boil 2 cups of water. Add 2 spoonfuls of tomato ketchup. Then add finely chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Let it cook. Then add salt, pepper, (corn starch + water), soya sauce and vinegar. Let it come to a boil. Beat only the white part of an egg and add to the gravy.

While serving, pour the gravy on the rice.

To the best of my knowledge, I followed the recipe faithfully. But I think the reason it didn't work for me is because the gravy doesn't have much of a spice except for pepper. It tasted as if I have added a bowlful of tomato soup to rice. And, to be sure, I never did like Tomato Rice.

So, sadly, this one goes down as an experiment not worth repeating in my cookbook. :-(

No comments: