Saturday, June 15, 2013

Sancho's Restaurante & Cantina, Khar







I opened the menu and stared at the contents for a very long time. I am not terribly fond of Fried Beans. But no matter which dish I checked out, the ingredient seemed to be listed in the description. 'Oh man, is there anything here that doesn't contain Fried Beans!' I said to no one in particular.

But truth be told, I am fond of Mexican food. So I stopped grumbling and got on with the business of ordering something to eat. The first choice was, of course, Enchilada. Since I didn't want to eat too much of chicken, I went for Corn, Bean (!) and Jalapeno one.

And then I debated whether to go for the Fajita or not. A memory of a dinner in some French diner from a long time back was weighing on my mind. I and one of my colleagues had ordered chicken Fajita - one for each of us. When it was served, we had nearly fallen out of our chairs. Each dish had about 7-8 tortillas along with sour cream, guacamole, salsa and 2-3 other condiments. 'Who is going to finish all of this?' we had asked each other when we found our voices. Our American boss had been so amused. 'Leave it if you can't finish it' he had said. It had taken us some time to explain to him how Indian children are brought up with the teaching that it is a sin to waste food. And after that, I and my colleague had dutifully proceeded to finish whatever was on the plate. Needless to say, we had skipped breakfast the next morning.

So, to cut the long story short, I was fighting against this very old chip on my shoulder. But my desire to eat Fajita far outweighed the weight of the chip. So chicken Fajita it was.

In due course, the meal was served. And I was mightily relieved to find that there were only 4 tortillas in the plate. Phew! The Enchilada was creamy, melt-in-your-mouth and delicious enough for me to ignore the nagging suspicion that there must be cheese involved there somewhere. :-) And the Fajita was every bit worth the effort of putting it together.

Alas, my plan of going for the Churros was vetoed down by the rest of the family. Never mind, there is always going to be the next time :-)

No comments: