Monday, June 24, 2013

Love In Mumbai

I tuned in to my favorite FM show on Golden Era songs - Purani Jeans - hosted by RJ Anmol on Radio Mirchi, after a very long time recently. Right in the middle of the show, Anmol spoke with Monjoy Mukerjee, son of the late Hindi movie actor Joy Mukerjee. He told Anmol that Joy Mukerjee has produced a film called 'Love In Mumbai' but did not release it for reasons best known to him. His family knew about it but they didn't know where he has kept the reels. After Joy's death, his son diligently searched for them and spent about a year working on it. Looks like now the work is done and they might release it in July. The movie features Joy Mukerjee, Wahida Rehman, Rehman, Kishor Kumar and Ashok Kumar.

As far as I know Joy Mukerjee made his movie debut with 'Love In Simla' - Sadhana was the heroine. I have seen only parts of this movie - it is aired sometimes on the B&W channel. From what I have seen, it looked like a story of a rich beautiful girl who is all set to marry the hero until he falls for her poor orphan plain Jane cousin (played by Sadhana). I haven't heard all the songs from the movie but 'लव्हका मतलब है प्यार' didn't sound too melodious. 'Love In Tokyo' - with Asha Parekh - however, did have a bevy of melodies - ले गयी दिल गुडिया जापानकी, ओ मेरे शाह-ए-खुबा, सायोनारा सायोनारा and my absolute favorite, मुझे तुम मिल गये हमदम. I guess 'Love In Mumbai' sort of completes the trilogy.

I hope they do end up releasing the film. I will definitely go and watch it - to live in the Golden Era that was almost over when I was born.

No comments: